Massa Lubrense is a nice municipality of about 13 thousands inhabitants and it is composed of the aggregations of old hamlets and about 30 districts on a territory of about 19 square kilometers, which lays south of Sorrento Peninsula up to Punta Campanella.
Massa became independent from the dukedom of Sorrento starting 1470.
Its name derives from the word 'mansa' which in Latin meant feudal territorial unit while Lubrense derives from the Church dedicated to Madonna della Lobra, built around 1528 in the same place where in previous centuries a pagan temple was built.
The church is located on Marina della Lobra, at the entrance of the maritime village. It has a magnificent lacunar ceiling and a majolica floor dating back to XVIII century. In the adjacent cloister of the Franciscan monastery there are the ruins of Greek and Roman temples.